Costume of the Sisters of Charity





The Sisters of St. Vincent de Paul, at
the time of their re-establishment in their house, in the _Rue du Vieux

Colombier_, after the Revolution, wore black dresses and caps. On the

fourth Sunday in Advent, 1804, Pope Pius the Seventh visited the community.

He seemed surprised that the Sisters had not resumed the habit of their

order; but he was told that no community had dared to show the religious

habit abroad. He then spoke to the emperor, saying to him that the good

daughters of charity "_looked like widows_." The emperor, at his request,

gave authority to the Sisters to wear their habit, and they resumed it in

the spring of 1805.





clear and conclusive evidence was drawn out of a Yorkshireman Countess de St. Belmont facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Feedback